Modern roof lanterns create the ultimate living spaces, thanks to crystal clear aesthetics, outstanding thermal efficiency, weather resistance and tamper-proof strength. So, as the popularity of roof lanterns increases, we thought we’d address a frequently asked question;
Do roof lanterns need planning permission?
Generally, planning permission is not required for a roof lantern installation as long as the following permitted development rules are followed:
- Roof lanterns must not extend 150mm above the sloping plane of the existing roof
- Roof lanterns must be no higher than the highest part of the roof
- Roof lanterns positioned in a side elevation roof slope must utilise obscure-glazing
- No roof openings, unless the height is at least 1.7m above the floor
Bearing in mind that there are 39 conservation areas that cover a large area of Guildford town centre, as well as a variety of villages in rural Guildford areas, planning permission may need to be sought within these areas if there are additional restrictions in place. Other designated areas, e.g. national parks, AONBs and listed buildings, may also remove permitted development rights to preserve special areas of architectural or historical interest. So, it’s always advisable to get in contact with a P&P Glass expert or your local planning authority to be sure that your home improvement plans are possible in your area.
Why the Korniche roof lantern?
Our range of slender aluminium roof lantern designs accommodates classic and contemporary homes alike, merging traditional sightlines with modern materials. The Korniche roof lantern brand is renowned for outstanding quality, performance and aesthetics. Combined with our award-winning service, the Korniche roof lantern also delivers:
- An elegant, sleek and enlightening design
- Awe-inspiring glazing spans
- The strongest roof lantern on the market, able to support over 8 tonnes!
- Innovative glass lock system and tamper-proof fasteners
- Energy-efficient u-values as low as 1.0 w/m2k for year-round comfort
- A cutting-edge, thermally broken structure that effectively reduces energy bills and carbon footprints
- Low maintenance self-cleaning glass options
- Coloured and tinted glazing opportunities
- An extensive range of bespoke RAL or BS colours, including dual-colour options
- Swift installation
The best looking roof lanterns in Surrey & West London
Ideal for flat roof living spaces, Korniche roof lanterns installed by P&P Glass transform any space they’re applied to. Shortlisted for the C&O Conservatory & Orangery Awards 2019, it’s clear to see that the P&P Glass team are well versed at designing and installing the highest quality living spaces throughout the South East.
From enlivening roof lanterns to high-performance double glazing replacements and everything else in between, request a quote or contact us to discuss your home improvement project in greater depth with your favorite team of local experts.