What is a carport?
A carport provides shelter for your car whilst still letting light through, not only that but it’s also a much cheaper alternative to a garage. Of course, the question arises: ‘Do I need planning permission for a carport?’
Do I need planning permission for a carport?
Unfortunately, the answer to that question is neither a definitive no nor a definitive yes, instead, it’s dependent upon a variety of factors. Planning permission isn’t required for a carport provided that:
- The carport is used for domestic purposes only – this means you should only use the carport to store your personal car and not rent it out for monetary reasons
- The ground area covered by the carport is not more than half the total area of the property – this simply means your carport can’t be too big in relation to the size of your property area.
- No part of the carport is in front of the principal or side elevation of the original house that faces onto a road – this is only applicable if your house faces onto a road, it means the carport can’t also be facing the road.
- The carport can’t exceed 4 metres in height.
- The highest point of the carport’s eaves are not 2.5 metres above the ground if it is 2 metres or less from the boundary of the property – the eaves of a carport are the parts of the roof that hang over the sides of the carport.
- If there’s a road to the rear of the house, no part of the carport is within 3.5 metres of it.
- If your property is located within a conservation area, World Heritage Site, area of outstanding natural beauty or National Park, the carport is not situated between the principal or side elevation of the house and its boundary.
Why choose P&P Glass?
Most things on this list shouldn’t be a problem for the majority of people. At P&P Glass we’ll do our best to ensure you’re able to have a carport fitted to match your needs without needing planning permission. Our carports can be coloured to any RAL or BS colour. Our carports are flexible to meet any demands, with a variety of different roof panels from 6mm toughened glass to solid 35mm polycarbonate, we even offer UV protection on some panel types.